If you want to build and maintain stronger relationships despite conflict, We Need to Talk is the place to start. Therapist Dr. Linda Mintle teaches that conflict is normal… but the desire to avoid it and the tendency to handle it poorly can get us in trouble. She says:
- We are not keeping peace when we try to cover up or avoid problems.
- How we deal with conflict will either grow a relationship or destroy it.
- As long as it takes to build trust, it can be broken in an instant.
- Conflict is not a bad thing. Don’t waste energy wishing it would go away. Understand it. Know how to respond.
She offers real-world advice based on solid research where you will learn to:
- Approach conflict in ways that work
- Problem solve and be more confident
- Negotiate differences
- Forgive and move on
- Strengthen relationships even when conflict seems unsolvable